This mod adds some basic materials to the game which are required to construct most buildings. The mod also adds Pottery to be sold to commoners and above. Basic Materials increases difficulty and will test your ability to manage the economy.
How it Works
Clay is dug at Clay Pits and is required for level 1 houses and some other buildings like the Bakery, Blacksmith, Smelter, etc.
A Potter's Kiln fires clay into Pottery which is sold for 6 gold at a Goods Market, or from the specialised Pottery Cart which acts as a market stall. The Kiln requires wood or coal for fuel. Coal is twice as efficient as wood.
The Potter's Kiln can also produce Clay Tile which is required for any building with a tile roof.
The Sawmill has been changed to make either Planks or Wood Shingles. Level 2 houses have shingles and so do many workplaces.
A Thatcher's Yard collects Thatch from Reed Beds which you should place nearby. Thatch is used for level 1 houses and some farm buildings. The reeds are similar to berry bushes, they can be depleted and only regrow once a month, so make sure you have at least two reed beds for every yard.
If you load Basic Materials last in the mod order, it will add the Basic Materials for the buildings from those mods.
- Basic Materials will require more wood than a vanilla game, both as fuel for the Kiln and for Shingles. Avoid building a lot of kilns too quickly or you will soon run out of wood.
- You start the game with some tile and shingles to allow you to build a few basic buildings like the Well. The first thing you should build with shingles is the Sawmill.
- This mod slows down the game, especially at the beginning. Building houses now takes longer due to the different materials required. I think this is a plus as it allows you to take a more natural approach to development instead of quickly filling your land with houses.
- If you add this mod to a saved game, your Sawmills will stop producing until you specify which function to use (Planks or Wood Shingles).
- Some buildings cannot be modded yet and so I was unable to add the new materials to them. These include the Lord Manor, Church, Keep, and Monastery.
- Reeds that you place in water will not be harvested, and on reloading a saved game they will disappear from the water. I haven't found a workaround yet.
- This mod incorporates the Campfire from RaisinMuff1n's Fantasy Decorations mod, to fuel the Kiln.