To add more life to docks and harbours, and to provide another way to exchange goods besides the normal Traders.
Requires 5 Citizens to unlock.
I made this mod to work together with my other mods which add new foods and goods. I recommend installing Vegetable & Poultry Farms, Livestock Farms, Orchard, and Furniture.
RaisinMuff1n's Fantasy Decorations is required for the props to add to your ships and warehouses.
How it Works
You will be exchanging your surplus goods for other items that you need to develop your holdings. Not all items can be exchanged - sea voyages are long, and perishable or bulky cargos do not bring a profit. A list of all exchanged items is at the bottom of this page.
- The Merchant's Ship or Boat will carry your exports to other lands, and return with items in exchange (sorry - there are no sailing animations yet - a modding limitation). Aboard should be a Crew of up to 3 for the ship, and 1 for the boats. Make sure the ship is connected to shore with a Gangplank if you want to use it for trading. Ships built away from shore are decorative only.
- The Trading House is where exchanges are negotiated. The Merchant works here.
- You build import and export Warehouses. You assign one Dock Worker per Warehouse.
- The Merchant working in the Trading House issues Commands, which are required later by the Ship's Crew.
- A Dock Worker collects items to be exported from a normal warehouse or granary, takes them to the Export Warehouse and produces Exports.
- The Crew collect Exports from the Export Warehouse and load them onto the Merchant's Ship or Merchant's Boat. The larger the vessel, the more it can take in one voyage.
- For each Exported item, the Ship's Crew get a Command from the Merchant to find out where they need to deliver the goods.
- Once the Crew have a full shipment ready, they go on their voyage and return with Imports
- Dock workers collect Imports from the Merchant's Ship or Boat after a successful voyage
- Dock workers produce the imported good at the Import Warehouse.
- Your normal warehouse and granary transporters pick up the goods at the Import Warehouse. Workplaces can also access these import warehouses.
- Build your Merchant's Ship, add a Gangplank overlapping the shore or pier, build a Trading House, and an Export Warehouse
- Appoint a Merchant and Crew
- Select "Export Wheat" in the Export Warehouse
- Assign a Dock worker to the Export Warehouse
- The Dock Worker collects Wheat from your normal Granaries and stores it at the dock in the Export Warehouse
- The Ship's Crew load the ship with the Wheat and get their commands from the Merchant
- The Ship's Crew create Imports by sailing the ship to a faraway place and returning with imported goods
- Build an Import Warehouse
- Select "Import Iron Bars" in the Import Warehouse
- Assign a Dock worker to the Import Warehouse
- The Dock Worker empties the ship and puts the Iron Bars into your Import Warehouse
- Transporters come from your normal warehouses and collect the Iron Bars
- To extend your port I recommend the Terrain mod to create harbour areas.
- The Gangplank needs to be well onto the land or piling, otherwise the Crew will not be able to board. Make sure that about a third of the Gangplank is overlapping land.
- For the smaller boats, either connect the gangplank directly to the shore, or if using the Terrain mod, make sure the gangplank rests right on top of the terrain (not below it).
- You should be producing a large surplus to begin Exporting. Otherwise, the dock workers will drain too much production from your economy for the exported goods.
- For a land-based version of this mod, I made the Trading Posts mod.
- For an extra challenge, you can use the Realistic Trading mod to disable most trading with the vanilla Trader.
- To include Pottery in the mod, you'll need to load this mod after the Basic Materials mod.
- For each shipment, you must collect any of the following quantities. For the Ship, you need 10 of these shipments; for the smaller boats, 4 or 2 depending on the size. You will receive credit to exchange something else on the list. For example, 100 flour can be exchanged for 50 apples.
The large ship model was originally created by xtianmir, purchased by the mod author with a royalty-free license and modified. (Cgtrader.com). Sails and all cargo props shared with permission by RaisinMuff1n.