For medieval villagers, the need for security was just as important as the need for food or shelter. In this mod, all villagers need to feel safe on a weekly basis. Without feeling secure, they become unhappy and eventually leave.
Security is produced by Guards, Patrols, and Constables, and communicated to your villagers by the Town Crier. You can see your current level of Security in the toolbar at the top of the screen.
Guards, Patrols and Town Criers are built using a menu in Monuments called Security. The Constable is available from within the Lord Manor or modded Keeps.
How it Works
- Guards and Patrols collect Security Reports on your village.
- Patrols are based in a Patrol Hut. They visit a route you define and come back with a security report about each area. You can place multiple patrol points around each Patrol Hut, but one Patrol will only have time to visit 6-8 places in one week, depending on how busy they are. Patrols can visit any single patrol point no oftener than once a week.
- Guards (Tower) generate reports by occupying a Tower or Gate. The towers from Stone Gate Set and Frontier Fortifications can be used by Guards. The two Gates from Frontier Fortifications that have ladders can also be used.
- Guards (Post) occupy a fixed position. They are especially good for guarding entrances. Once placed, the guard post is invisible. If you forget where you placed the guard post, use the Workplaces menu to find it.
- The Constable works in the Keep or Lord Manor, collecting Security Reports from Towers, Patrols, and Guard Posts, and producing Security. The normal Wooden Keep is still only for soldiers, so you'll have to build a Keep from Stone Gate Set or Frontier Fortifications for the Constable, or use the Lord Manor.
- The Town Crier speaks to the Constable about the state of the settlement, then goes out on the street nearby to tell villagers the news. You must place the Town Crier's Post near the Keep. You'll find this new building part within the Stone Gate Set and Frontier Fortifications mods, and within the normal Wooden Keep and Lord Manor buildings.
- Villagers will go to the Town Crier's Post to hear the news about security. In doing so they satisfy their weekly need to feel safe.
- The Security monument only appears after you have built your first Food Market table.
- For a new village, build a Town Crier to provide Security from the Village Center until you start producing it yourself. The Village Centre will provide some free Security at the beginning of the game, but it isn't available to villagers without a Town Crier.
- If the Constable isn't getting enough reports, they can't generate security. Make sure you have enough towers, manned gates or patrols to keep the Constable fed with information.
- Make sure you have a Constable and Town Crier near your population centres. Otherwise, villagers will have to travel a long way to feel secure, and their happiness and production will be impacted.
- As you build up your settlement, move Patrol points that are covered by a newly constructed building or wall. Patrols won't visit patrol points that are inaccessible.
- It is possible for Patrols to use each others' patrol points. If you don't want this, place the patrol huts further apart. Patrols prefer to visit patrol points near their hut.
- The direction of the Patrol point arrow controls which direction the Patrol will face while surveying the area.
- Soldiers and monks do not require Security, they are protected by members of their own enclaves.
- For the Stone Gate Set towers, make sure the guard can get to them. Usually this means they need to have a door facing a street.
- The towers that come with the Lord's Manor do not have guard functionality yet as these parts are not available to mod.
- Moving Security Reports from one place to another means the worker will carry a crate. There is no option to disable this in the API.