Like my mods? Please support me on Paypal, and let me know on Discord what content you'd like to see next!
- This mod only works with new games
- Security buildings unlock at 20 villagers, but no Outlaws will appear until you have 50 villagers
Peace and security must be won by protecting your people from outlaws, and punishing villagers who step outside the law.
This mod adds a defensive element to the game: you must build Keeps, Towers, Walls and Gates to protect your people from outlaws.
Each estate has its own ability to provide Security. The Lord Manor, Soldier's Fort, and Monastery can all be built with a function to Guard or have a Prison. Each monument can also have patrol arrows for guards employed there. Place 3-4 patrol arrows per guard.
Every Keep, Tower, Wall, Gate, and Guard adds Security to an area. If a workplace is too far away from security buildings or a patrol route, after two weeks the workers are tempted to steal food, goods and gold. When this happens, villagers become Outlaws. Anyone who has been unemployed for more than two weeks is also at risk of becoming an Outlaw. Occasionally, bands of outlaws will also appear from outside your borders.
These villagers leave the town and go to live in Outlaw Camps. They will try to steal food, goods and gold from unprotected workplaces. You prevent stealing by providing Keeps, Towers, and Guards near workplaces. You can see which buildings require more security by clicking on any security building and going into Edit mode. Green buildings are fully protected; Orange are targets for theft; and Red are at risk of encouraging new outlaws. Plus signs indicate buildings and patrols that generate security. The overlay disappears after 15 seconds, if you want to keep it on, pause the game.
If there is nothing to steal, outlaws will come back to the village to buy food and get water. By placing patrols near markets and wells, you can question villagers and catch outlaws.
Captured outlaws become Prisoners in the Prison. After serving a week's punishment, they are released as unemployed newcomers.
Outlaws will never exceed 5% of the population.
- Security buildings add residential desirability.
- Wooden security buildings have less security than stone ones.
- There are some workplaces that get an automatic green security rating: Woodcutter's Camp, Stonecutter's Camp, Forester's hut, and Hunter's hut. Outlaws are not interested in stealing from these workplaces which are often placed outside the town without defense.
- Minotorious showed me how to use behaviour trees, and this mod is only possible because of that
- RaisinMuffin allowed use of his campfire from Fantasy Decorations for the Rally Point